Videos!A brief introduction to working with video content on your PC.
- On Line TV
- Stream From Internet
- Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
- Sage TV (Windows, Mac)
- Formac - Studio Deluxe and Studio DV (hardware and software)
- Windows Media Center
- Miro (Linux,Windows, Mac - Open Source) All in one application. Handles BitTorrents, Podcasts, You Tube, etc. Acts as a Player as well. C-Net article.
- Joost (Windows/Mac)
- TitanTV - online video (Flash) and free TV listings (free account required)
- You Tube is a video sharing website where users can upload, view and share video clips.
- youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com. It requires the Python interpreter, and it's not platform specific. It should work in Linux, Windows or Mac OS X.
- flv2avi.sh - shell script using mencoder
- DVD Rips - Extract content from DVDs
- dvd:rip (Linux)
- Handbrake Mac OS X, Windows, Linux
- Mac the Ripper - Mac OS X
- DVD Decrypter (no longer developed, but still available) Windows
- DVDfab HD Decrypter - Windows (cracks new Sony DRM protection)
- www.Doom9.net - "The definitive DVD backup resource" - mostly Windows, but great source of information
- Network Websites CNN, CSPAN, Family Guy, etc.
- Cameras - Web cams, digital cameras, phones, etc.
- Mplayer A movie player for Linux,
Windows, and Mac OSX. Versions for OS/2, AmigaOS and MorphOS are also available. Supports reading
from network, dvd, vcd, file, pipes, and v4l.
MPlayer is a command line application which has different optional GUIs for each of its supported operating systems. Commonly used GUIs are gmplayer (Linux and Windows), MPlayer OS X, MPUI (for Windows) and WinMPLauncher (also for Windows). Several other GUI frontends are also available for each platform.
- VLC is a highly portable multimedia player, encoder, and streamer supporting many audio and video codecs and file formats as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It is able to stream over networks and to transcode multimedia files and save them into various different formats.
- Miro - see above
- Real Player is a cross-platform media player by RealNetworks that plays a number of multimedia formats including MP3, MPEG-4, QuickTime, Windows Media and multiple versions of proprietary RealAudio and RealVideo formats.
- Flash Player Adobe Flash Player is a lightweight client runtime that delivers consistent user experiences across major operating systems, browsers, mobile phones, and devices.
- Browsers (Firefox, Mozilla, IE?)
- Xine (Linux, Unix)
- Totem (Linux - Gnome)
- Windows Media Player
- Fast Processor(s)
- Gobs of memory - 1GB or more
- Big Hard Drive(s) - 200GB or more
- TV Tuner Card - Hauppauge 250
- Media MVP and Media MVP Media Center - Connect a TV to MythTV Server
- Elgato Eye TV - Mac, USB hardware with software
- Formac Studio - see above
- Sling Box
- Mencoder - see Mplayer above